Thursday we went to the Vatican again for R&B. We got to go see the Raphael rooms and we were supposed to get to see another area that is normally off limits to tourists. However, the Vatican thought we were going to be there at 9:30 and we thought we were going to be there at 11, so we didn't actually get to go into that area. Dr. Touchette said she's going to call her contact at the museums and see if he can make him feel exceedingly guilty for changing the times she told him and get us in again though. Hopefully that works out. We went and stared at the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel for a while. There were angrier guards today so we actually did have to watch how much we talked and had to be more candid about our picture taking. Oh, there was still plenty of picture taking, don't you worry. However, it was on another camera. So... basically, no picture taking. After the Vatican we all went to Italian and spent an hour or so getting food and cramming last minute homework. We're working on how to conjugate verbs, which is nice because they're fairly identical to the Latin system of naming verbs and I have totally taken two semesters of Latin! Not that I remember it, of course. Terrance got Thursday's screw-up award in Italian because he said that the thing he missed most about home was his dog-friends. Hmm...
I had planned an early night for Thursday because I had to wake up at 8:15 to get up to the laundry room and beat the partying Temple-ers to do laundry. They take over the laundry room at night. This, however did not not work out. The boys went bar hopping and decided to come to our apartment after they were done. Needless to say, I didn't sleep through them ringing the doorbell 7 times or them breaking stuff and then loudly denying that they did. We got a delightful running dialogue of the fantastic things that they said and don't remember. I had to walk them over to their apartment because both of them lost their keys and Alex thought he lost his credit card, so I googled the bar that they were at and got them the address and the phone number to try and locate the card. He found it by the time I got back to my apartment. It was in his wallet. We don't talk about it.
Friday morning I beat the laundry line and had clean AND dry clothes for art! Hooray! We were supposed to meet at Bernini's turtle fountain (or so we thought) but we waited there for about 40 minutes and we couldn't contact Paulina on account of her cell phone being stolen so we left because it started to rain.
Turtle fountain! Apparently, only the Turtles were Bernini, the rest of it was designed by... someone else.
Graffiti that I liked near the Turtle Fountain. I think I like it because I recognized the painting from a previous art history class. I enjoy that. It makes me feel like I've learned something.
We ducked for cover inside of an Italian Borders-like place which I have decided is going to be one of my new favorite places. There's a caffe where you can get good coffee and they let you read the English books without buying them. What more could you ask for, really? Half the group went home by bus but I took a walking adventure with Terrance and Danielle. It was good times. We had a Tiber moment. Then we went home and I made dinner- Pesto with Salsicce and mushrooms. Mmmm. Danielle and I had another marathon talk that night while people went out running around Rome (we've decided that that is sketch at night and makes us not comfortable).
Saturday I woke up not feeling good so I spent the entire day sleeping and drinking copious amounts of Orange Juice in an effort to not get sick again. I think it worked! (Knock on wood) Last night, I booked travel for the rest of February and March. On Valentine's Day we're going to see Pompeii and Naples with the group and then the next weekend we're going to Sicily for Lindsey's birthday. The weekend after that, Danielle and I decided that we wanted to be warm, so we're going to Portugal for the weekend to go to the beach. We are excited. In March for Spring Break, I'm going to Copenhagen with Lindsey. Four members of the group are going to Cairo, Danielle has family coming here to visit and Haley has plans with her sister, I think. So Lindsey and I decided to go on an epic adventure of our own. It's going to be amazing. I hope. I then had an almost heart attack when I realized that my credit card was being rejected because my bank didn't believe that it was me booking travel around Europe. Yay for Moo and her sorting all of that out yesterday!!!
Today we went to mass at St. Peter's. Well... kind of. There's a mass going on in the front of the church that pretty much goes on all the time so we sat in on that for a while and we were going to go to a service in one of the smaller side chapels, but we didn't want to miss the Pope at noon and it's not like you can get up in the middle of mass and leave. The Catholics frown upon that. So Terrance and I had a prayer moment and met up with the rest of the group. We went out to the Square to wait for the Pope. There's a protest going on in Rome about the Pope and his lift of the excommunication of the bishop who doesn't believe that the Holocaust happened, so there were all these Pro-Pope people in the square waving huge banners and yelling things. There was a church with a huge banner that sat there and sang and wiggled tambourines until the Pope came out.
Guys hanging the Pope banner at 11:45
The Pope! As zoomed in as I could get him where you could see that it was the Pope and not like... a rabbit or something.
This is what he looked like to us.
... More of the Pope. He's called Papa here in Italy, btw.
The sun came out for the Pope! And disappeared as soon as he went inside. No, really.
The Pope (no, really, he's still there) with awesome St. Peter's statues included in shot.
Pope wave!
I had planned an early night for Thursday because I had to wake up at 8:15 to get up to the laundry room and beat the partying Temple-ers to do laundry. They take over the laundry room at night. This, however did not not work out. The boys went bar hopping and decided to come to our apartment after they were done. Needless to say, I didn't sleep through them ringing the doorbell 7 times or them breaking stuff and then loudly denying that they did. We got a delightful running dialogue of the fantastic things that they said and don't remember. I had to walk them over to their apartment because both of them lost their keys and Alex thought he lost his credit card, so I googled the bar that they were at and got them the address and the phone number to try and locate the card. He found it by the time I got back to my apartment. It was in his wallet. We don't talk about it.
Friday morning I beat the laundry line and had clean AND dry clothes for art! Hooray! We were supposed to meet at Bernini's turtle fountain (or so we thought) but we waited there for about 40 minutes and we couldn't contact Paulina on account of her cell phone being stolen so we left because it started to rain.
Turtle fountain! Apparently, only the Turtles were Bernini, the rest of it was designed by... someone else.
Graffiti that I liked near the Turtle Fountain. I think I like it because I recognized the painting from a previous art history class. I enjoy that. It makes me feel like I've learned something.We ducked for cover inside of an Italian Borders-like place which I have decided is going to be one of my new favorite places. There's a caffe where you can get good coffee and they let you read the English books without buying them. What more could you ask for, really? Half the group went home by bus but I took a walking adventure with Terrance and Danielle. It was good times. We had a Tiber moment. Then we went home and I made dinner- Pesto with Salsicce and mushrooms. Mmmm. Danielle and I had another marathon talk that night while people went out running around Rome (we've decided that that is sketch at night and makes us not comfortable).
Saturday I woke up not feeling good so I spent the entire day sleeping and drinking copious amounts of Orange Juice in an effort to not get sick again. I think it worked! (Knock on wood) Last night, I booked travel for the rest of February and March. On Valentine's Day we're going to see Pompeii and Naples with the group and then the next weekend we're going to Sicily for Lindsey's birthday. The weekend after that, Danielle and I decided that we wanted to be warm, so we're going to Portugal for the weekend to go to the beach. We are excited. In March for Spring Break, I'm going to Copenhagen with Lindsey. Four members of the group are going to Cairo, Danielle has family coming here to visit and Haley has plans with her sister, I think. So Lindsey and I decided to go on an epic adventure of our own. It's going to be amazing. I hope. I then had an almost heart attack when I realized that my credit card was being rejected because my bank didn't believe that it was me booking travel around Europe. Yay for Moo and her sorting all of that out yesterday!!!
Today we went to mass at St. Peter's. Well... kind of. There's a mass going on in the front of the church that pretty much goes on all the time so we sat in on that for a while and we were going to go to a service in one of the smaller side chapels, but we didn't want to miss the Pope at noon and it's not like you can get up in the middle of mass and leave. The Catholics frown upon that. So Terrance and I had a prayer moment and met up with the rest of the group. We went out to the Square to wait for the Pope. There's a protest going on in Rome about the Pope and his lift of the excommunication of the bishop who doesn't believe that the Holocaust happened, so there were all these Pro-Pope people in the square waving huge banners and yelling things. There was a church with a huge banner that sat there and sang and wiggled tambourines until the Pope came out.
Guys hanging the Pope banner at 11:45
The Pope! As zoomed in as I could get him where you could see that it was the Pope and not like... a rabbit or something.
This is what he looked like to us.
... More of the Pope. He's called Papa here in Italy, btw.
The sun came out for the Pope! And disappeared as soon as he went inside. No, really.
The Pope (no, really, he's still there) with awesome St. Peter's statues included in shot.
Pope wave!After coming home from church, I made pancakes and bacon for Danielle and me and then totally took a nap. Tonight I decided it was totally time to update the blog and after this, I have to go draw for a while so that Paulina doesn't kill me tomorrow when we have art to make up for missing Friday. We're also supposed to have a Wine Tasting tomorrow, which has already been rescheduled about 5 times, so we'll see if it actually goes through this time.


No comments:
Post a Comment