Totally didn't take a picture of something new on Tuesday. At least not with my little easy-to-plug-into-the-computer digital camera. But we saw lots of nifty things. We got to go into the House of the Griffins and the House of... someone else that are usually restricted access. We got to go see crazy old frescoes and an awesome stone cut floor and Roman lead pipes that ran through the house. When we walked off the Palatine Hill (you just weren't important if you didn't live on one of the 7 hills) and walked around down into the Forum we got to see the place where Julius Caesar was cremated and we got to see several triumphal archways and we saw the house of the Senate from back in the day, but it wasn't open so we didn't get to go in. Class actually let out early for once, which was especially shocking since we were like 10 minutes late. We celebrated by getting Suppli at our favorite place across from school. I forgot to mention that after three and a half weeks, last week the people at the restaurant across the street finally started to like us! They recognize us now and put up with our awful Italian and give us free samples of gelato! Hooray! That only took a month of my life that I'll never get back. But better late than never! Tuesday and Thursday nights are always unexciting because we're too exhausted to do anything. So we came home and had dinner. And then something momentous happened in the time I was killing time so as not to go on my field trip with Danielle too early. I washed dishes. Not just a few, either! Literally every dish in our apartment with the exception of like 4. I know, I was shocked too. Good thing you are most likely sitting down as you read this, I'd hate to be the cause of any sort of a serious injury. And then I took Danielle to the Pronto Socorso (ER) because we contaminated her and got her sick and she needed antibioticos. We couldn't figure out a direct bus route online because atac likes to ruin my life, but we got a bus that came pretty close to the hospital and then walked across Castel Sant 'Angelo and made it in. We belatedly figured out that the night staff is smaller so it still takes forever to get help. They weren't happy with us for taking up their time, either. They asked Danielle if she was a tourist and she didn't even see a doctor when all she told them was that all she wanted was drugs. We got turned in a few circles on the way back but found an all night farmacia and got her pills and then took a cab back to the Residence. I can't be sure because I don't know what the protocol is, but I'm pretty sure he charged us a crazy flat rate. Last night was hate on the Americans night. I came home and threw some things in my sketchbook for class today and went to bed.
Today, my Politics class went to see an exhibit of Etruscan art at a pretty museum that I think was one of my pictures of the day previously. Fabio bought me a cappuccino. I heart him. Anyway, amazingamazingamazing artwork. I wish I could have taken pictures, but it was not allowed. The lucky Italian school children on field trips to the museum got to, though. Prejudice! Anyway, I got out of class crazy late so I had to travel on my own to St. Peter's to meet the drawing class. So, I get on a bus that says San Pietro on it, and although it stops DIRECTLY IN FRONT of the hospital that Danielle and I adventured to last night, it stops about 7 blocks away from St. Peter's square, 5 minutes before class starts. So, I run in the general direction of the basilica and then make an entire circle of the square before I see the group. Big square. Here, take a look:
Part of the obelisk. We liked the way the sky looked after class so we took a lot of pictures around the square.
Part of the obelisk. We liked the way the sky looked after class so we took a lot of pictures around the square.
I really liked the obelisk today. I don't know why, I guess I thought it looked exceptionally pretty with the amazing death clouds behind it. Don't ask.
This is what I was supposed to draw today in class. Hopefully St. Peter won't hold it against me. Sad times, my drawing teacher Paulina had her purse stolen right outside of St. Peter's today. She was running around and watching us draw and had her purse in a corner and these three teenagers came up to look at what we were drawing (this literally happens everywhere we draw) and we didn't pay attention to them and like 5 minutes later she realized her purse was gone. Paulina is the nicest woman in the entire world, everyone. It was a depressing afternoon. She said that there was nothing important in it and that it was important to remember that we all had things that no one could steal from us! Doesn't it just make you want to give her a hug?
On a lighter note...Epic moment, everyone. Today I went into Basilica San Pietro for the first time! I've been in the square several times, but I've never gone in. I went in! My eyes were almost confused there was so much stuff to look at that they wanted to go everywhere. It was amazing. I over-use the word amazing, but if ever it was accurate when used in my vocabulary, this would be that moment.
This was the blocked off section of the floor in the Basilica.
This was the blocked off section of the floor in the Basilica.
The Pieta! I saw the Pieta today!!!!!!!!!! Seriously. Epic moment. We also went down into the lower levels of the church where it is a Sacred Place and talking and photography is yet again forbidden. I saw the tomb of Pope John Paul II, which people still lay flowers and cards on and it's the only one guarded constantly. I also saw the tombs of other popes... none that I had ever heard of. They had some stone reliefs and columns and mosaics down there too. You know, that stuff that seems to be in every museum here. :) Seriously, today was almost too much to take in. St. Peter's is impossible to describe. Get on a plane already.
On the way home from class, we found the World Market store, Castroni's. I am now the proud owner of Bisquick and syrup, barbeque sauce, peanut butter and orange spice tea. We still had to go to the GS and get normal food (damn the Italians for not believing in preservatives) but it was a good day to get things done because we know we will all be dead after class tomorrow. I made an awesome dinner: chicken with mushrooms and bacon and cheese melted on it which then had barbeque on top. I didn't think I would miss American food as much as I do. It seems blasphemous to say that while in Italy, I've been to McDonald's twice. I know!
Tomorrow R&B is at the Musei Vaticani again, but this time we're studying Michelangelo so I'm going to be allowed to look at the ceiling without being yelled at! Always something to look forward to in Rome...





i see you're still sportin' that lesbian watch... how's that workin' out for you?
ReplyDelete