Told you- the very beginning. This is where I was at 8:15 this morning waiting for my teacher for 15 minutes. When we got into the museum we had to go through a security thing, but the super nice guard hand checked my film, even though the machine said that it was film safe! Yay! I thought it would be light enough to shoot Tri-X, but it was not, so I ended up backing out my film and using 3200. Just a note for the film people. 
My teacher told us to not pay attention to the ceiling and to look at the walls of the Sistine Chapel. Seriously, who was she kidding? I barely know what was on the walls. And Botticelli did something on the walls and I HEART him. I talk a lot of smack about Michelangelo. I'm usually not a huge fan. I could've sworn the first time that I looked at the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel that the paintings of people were actually coming out of the ceiling. It was by far the most amazing thing that my eyes have ever seen. Everyone, get on a plane, fly to Italy and to see the Sistine Chapel. Do it now.
So... in the Sistine Chapel you are not supposed to talk at all and you are not allowed to take pictures of any kind- with flash, without flash, or videorecordings. Guess how many people follow any of those rules? No one. I got two awesome pictures of the Adam/God part before our really nice personal Vatican guard who took us into normally restricted areas of the museum told me that pictures were very very forbidden. I felt bad. Of course, I still took pictures, but I did it in a much more discreet way. But those two... they're going to be gorgeous. I already can't wait to see them. So most of my pictures were shot at waist level with auto focus on my other digital camera. Shockingly, some of them came out really well I think. No, you don't get to see them yet. If I show you all the good ones now, I'll never convince you to sit down and look at all my Trevi Fountain pictures when I get home.

Awesome statue that was in a pillar as we were leaving. Yeah, those things are just carved and sitting out in the open at the Vatican. That's what's so flipping hard to get over. They just sit out in the open!!! Insane.
See this guy? Note how he looks funny and it kind of makes you want to go up and play with his hat to see if he's not allowed to move like the British guards. Don't. He is a Swiss guard and he will kill you. This is not me being funny. It's happened in the past. Don't mess with people in funny clothes. There's a lot of pent up anger there anyway. So thus end the Vatican pictures for the day, but hopefully there will be many more. Maybe I will even show you a few. After the Vatican roommate Danielle and I came back to the apartment to get lunch and then we went to Italian- half an hour before it's supposed to start. Plenty of time to jump on the metro and go to class. Here's the catch: the Metro decided not to work today. So we run and jump onto the metro and it's not moving and the doors aren't closing. And we wait there for about 7 minutes. And then the announcements start. Being that they are in Italian, it doesn't make much of a difference what they're saying, but then about half the people on the Metro get up and leave. So we leave and go to the bus stop right behind the metro station and even come up with a plan of how to get there on the bus. And then there's no bus driver. And we sit and sit and sit some more. And then someone comes to the bus and says that the Metro is working, so we go get on the Metro and get onto a train with about 3 times the normal amount of people and we're all shoved in there like cattle going to get slaughtered for McDonald's. Not good times. We got to class after an hour of commuting and half an hour after class started. There's never a dull moment here.
After class I got my first crepe of Italy doused with Nutella and amazing. It makes any bad day better. I wish I'd taken a picture of it now.
Then we went GSing. It seems to be an every other day thing here. I found crepe batter. There is no pancake batter, baking powder or baking soda to be found, but crepes are always within reach. I also got some amazing sounding pasta filled with ricotta and basil. I'll let you know how it is tomorrow.



This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI took the same picture of the ceiling.. But mine turned out a little dark.. who doesn't go to the sistine chapel and "illegally" take pictures of it.. I mean come on!
ReplyDelete